Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lunch Of Champions

The perfect lunch is one shared with friends. 

Correction: the perfect lunch is one shared with friends who happen to be French and spend their free time buying goodies at the Brooklyn Fairway.  

I visited my friend in Williamsburg yesterday, where she put out the spread of the nascent year.  Two types of triple cream cheese, a toasted baguette, leftover French-cut and pan-seared chicken breast with white beans from Gemma, salami, and burrata with cherry tomatoes.

I do not know how French and Italian people eat these types of lunches without getting fat.  Maybe it's the cigarette smoking, or the non-American portion sizes.  Or maybe drinking a lot of wine with one's meals curbs the appetite.  

Regardless, I was able to convince myself that my cheese-and-animal fat lunch left me skinny as a black-beret-ed French model.  If possession is 9/10 of the law, I believe self-delusion is 9/10 of reality.  

Viva the health food of France! 

No comments: