Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thai Man's Land

I was really planning to cook dinner.  Really.  But when I got back from my run in the afternoon I dawdled and then, suddenly, it was nearly dark and the idea of walking ten blocks in the cold to the fish market, the vegetable stands, etc., was really unappealing. 

I haven't ordered take-out at all this week.  Not that I should get a medal for that or anything, but I've been on as much of a health kick as people like me can ever possibly be on without losing our minds.  Bye bye take-out, hello cookbooks.  

Anyway, last night I went to one of my old standbys: Astoria Thai food.  From Red Basil, I ordered a spicy grilled chicken salad, festooned with julienned carrots and red onions, thick chunks of red pepper, and Thai chili.  The chicken was still warm when it arrived.  I ordered a cucumber salad, slices of cucumber, red pepper, carrot, red onion, and hot pepper in a salty-sweet fish sauce.  Also very spicy.   And I ordered grilled eggplant, which had been basted with--you guessed it--something spicy.  

For dessert, they sent a giant orange, one of the few fruits that doesn't threaten to send me into anaphylactic shock when I eat it raw.  Looks like leftovers for lunch. 

*
Red Basil
3247 Steinway Street
Astoria, NY 11102
718.278.3333

No comments: