Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tasting

Yesterday was the Michael Skurnik industry tasting at the Altman Building.  I've been to a lot of tastings in my lifetime, but this was--by far--the very worst.  I was surrounded by nepotism (Christina Turley pouring her daddy's wine in the room's rear, utterly thankful that he procured her and her inexperienced palate a position as wine buyer) and fake friends (yes, I avoided a dreaded encounter with a former Tempranillo rep because I can't really stand her and because she rejected my friend request on Facebook.  True story).  

There were also upward of 500 wines, none of which I could quite get to because the lines were so long.  Signage was bad.  I ended up in Italy twice when I was really looking for Austria.  The only tables I really had the opportunity to taste through completely was the grower champagne table.  Nice stuff, but not what I need for my restaurant right now.  

These tastings are all about running into people and I do not want to run into people.  I want to go into a room, taste my way through the current vintages, scratch down a few notes, and be on my merry way.  Thank god I'll be out of town for the next round on the 23rd and 24th. 

No comments: